Monday, July 22, 2019

The "Greatness" Madness

One of the messages we have in our era is all about being global influencers and in as much as I agree with the point of argument of most, I must say that I have had to struggle with the guilt of not being one, at least not just yet. That’s because somewhere along the line it seem like I lost focus of the small, little things. Like most people I have had this thing where I know greatness lies within me and I am to make impact but I keep worrying about how I get that large audience. I must admit at a point, I knew that it was about starting out small and even faithful with the small but I kept worrying about being out there. I was so overwhelmed with that and I lost focus of starting and of the small..to think that even the bible admonishes us to start small and to be faithful with the “small”. I got some of my liberation recently on thanksgiving with a message I was privileged to listen to where I was taken back to touching lives a person at a time, day by day. And then the message I listened to, it was explained that even the bible provided instances where Christ- our number one role model ministered one on one to people and I wonder where and when did this craze for …. started, at least for me. As I look around, it seem like we are all buying into the “everyone born to be great sermons” and the misconception of greatness. Please don’t get me wrong..i am all for born to be great but why do we feel until we get some accolades or applause or recognition then we ain’t doing nothing?? What happened to being nice to the one person that comes my way or my colleague at work or some stranger am sharing a taxi with without expecting anything in return? What happened to being a good neighbor demonstrating the love of God with excellence? What happened to just wanting to put a smile on someone’s face without getting some recognition or award? Once upon a time, I preached the global impact message and trust me I still do but I realize that if we don’t ensure balance (and this pertains to all spheres of life) we will lose focus of the important things. If indeed the focus is to make impact then it should not matter if I am making to one person who possibly can then take the world or I am to a group. Like we say in Nigeria the koko is to make a difference so let’s begin and focus on one life, one day at a time and to trust that like a seed, it will grow and outgrow our life time. Yes we are all born great to do both the little and big things!

No comments:

Post a Comment